We aim to develop in our pupils the ability to communicate effectively in speech, writing and to listen with understanding.
We aim to make them enthusiastic, fluent and responsive readers who can learn and gain pleasure from the written word.
By the end of Key Stage 1 we aim for children to be able to:
- Have a love of books and reading.
- Be able to decode unfamiliar words using their phonics knowledge.
- Be able to communicate effectively in the written form.
- Understand that writing is done for an audience and purpose.
By the end of Key Stage 2 we aim for children to have:
- Developed a rich vocabulary.
- The ability to read fluently and understand books written for different purposes.
- The confidence to participate confidently within speaking and listening activities.
- The ability to write well-structured texts with a clear purpose and audience in mind.
- The ability to write legibly using the cursive script at speed and at length.
- The ability to suggest improvements they can make to their own writing and the writing of others.